Director, Defense Enterprise Integration (DEI) within the Business Transformation Agency (BTA). The BTA was established under the purview of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Business Transformation (DUSD)(BT)).
The Defense Agencies Initiative (DAI) is a DOD enterprise initiative to modernize and transform the financial management capabilities of the Defense Agencies. The DAI is not an update of legacy systems, but an implementation of integrated financial management capabilities that consolidates many systems and standardizes business processes.
Once fully implemented, the DAI will provide a real-time, web-based system of integrated business processes that will be used by Defense Agency financial managers, program managers, auditors, and by the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS), to make sound business decisions in support of the warfighter.
TAA was asked to provide support to the Director, Defense Enterprise Integration (DEI) for acceleration of business transformation activities by facilitating integration efforts within the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) communities. Key objectives included:
- Conduct analysis of business processes, information systems, and operating models.
- Facilitate management decisions regarding resources and tradeoffs.
- Provide independent, unbiased, expert input and views of ongoing activities.
- Implementation planning and development of a Business Enterprise Architecture (BEA).
- Implementation of business information systems.
TAA provided support for the implementation of the BEA and for enterprise standards in ERP systems throughout the Department of Defense (DoD). This effort involved the following conversion and implementation support tasks:
- Provide on site, full time personnel in direct operational support for the implementation of the BEA.
- Facilitate management decisions regarding resources and trade-offs; augment by providing independent, unbiased, expert input on the BEA and the ERP systems.
- Brief senior department officials and outside agencies on the BEA implementation
- Maintain general and detailed project management schedules, charts of inter-related activities, critical path determinations, and long term objectives.
- Provide ongoing input and status reports pertaining to the BEA and ERP systems.
- Monitor programs for alignment with BEA, the President’s Management Agenda (PMA) and other Federal initiatives.
- Provide overall support to the DEI officer to ensure effective and efficient completion of all tasks to include: providing strategic, tactical, and general operational support to the DEI office.
- Written evaluations of technologies.
- Fit / Gap analysis and summary of ERP based solutions.
- Reports on architecture (business flows, information exchanges, business rules, functional and system requirements) as they relate to ERP.
- Point papers, executive summaries, position papers, briefings, and communications as necessary.
- Monthly status reports with an estimate of expenditures as of the last day of the reporting month.
Results and Benefits
All projects timelines were met without delay.
Through implementation of the BEA,
- Provided the basis for planning and development of business management systems that comply with Federal mandates.
- Provided requirements that will produce accurate, reliable, timely, and compliant information for DOD staff.
- Ensured that policies, procedures, data standards, and system interface requirements are applied uniformly throughout the DOD.
- Ensured that key BEA-related information is available to DOD decision makers department-wide.