Humanitarian and Economic Assistance, Revitalization and Transformation (HEART) is the process of leveraging social engagement, commercial business best practice, and focused economic stimulus to create a catalyst program for sustainable economic prosperity in developing nations. HEART’s primary focus is on:
- Developing and improving community infrastructure: roads and transportation, utilities such as water and power, agricultural advances, and education and training are just a few of the “commodities” that, when strengthened and supported, not only improve quality of life but help create a sustainable and attractive job market.
- Developing foundation-level support for the wise injection of funds into local community projects, creating the basis for further sequenced economic development.
HEART takes a business benefit, ROI-oriented approach to bringing assistance to post-conflict nations. In addition, TAA has learned that, in order for these initiatives to succeed, local engagement is critical. Those living in the community are in the best position to know their most immediate needs. For example, a well-planned and funded education program – while admirable in concept – just may not be as important as ensuring a fresh water supply.
TAA’s HEART initiative is structured to accomplish the following:
- Develop multiple dimensions of basic life support and other infrastructure areas to reduce poverty, improve the standard of living, and generate a growing local, regional, and national economy.
- Define a portfolio of projects that create a set of intended outcomes such as sustainable job creation, the establishment of sustainable businesses and public administration.
- Engage the local population in the revitalization efforts.
- Drive for tangible results from the investment efforts that benefit the local population, the regions, and the country.
- Drive responsibility, accountability, and authority to the lowest appropriate level, ideally leveraging strong social structures while providing appropriate training.
- Oversee and guide the progress of a transformation portfolio using proven business investment management methods and tools.